Sunday, July 6, 2008

RSS SOS - Info Overload? [Week 4, Thing 8]

I've known about RSS feeds for a while, even subscribed to a couple of blogs, but the only one I read regularly was the one my son wrote while he was abroad at an international ceramics seminar. Once he came home, I stopped checking the feed. It's all I can do to keep up with my email - to say nothing of the few bills, invitations, and notices that still arrive by landmail.

I guess I'm an anachronism. I still prefer reading a print newspaper to reading the news online. At least I no longer clip articles to send to friends. I go to the paper's website, locate the article and email the link.

The best part of this exercise was that I googled around looking for sites that have articles about and reviews of children's books that I like. I anticipate being swamped by RSS-fed posts and simply not checking them. I also anticipate that if I read it, the RSS-fed material will suggest lessons and programs. Maybe I'll start with a nibble and read a review per day.

1 comment:

boxfoot said...

Welcome to RSS!
I highly recommend the "nibble first" approach. Once you're spending time online, it's too easy to spend too much of it there. Also, don't forget about the 'Mark all as read' button, which refreshes you to a clean slate.